By clicking this Link you help to Support this Forum when you buy any items from AMAZON
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plusnet Fibre best 3rd party router alternative
hope somebody can help me, I have the standard plusnet router and it  doesn't seem to get to my bedroom approx 10 ft away, used to be fine with other routers, what 3rd party router do you suggest i get to replace it?

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...mrc&uact=8

I was thinking about replacing it with this?

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC68U/

I like your name, we have royalty on this forum at last ;-)

I am on BT, but I believe your plusnet router is a router and modem combo, as such the asus RT-AC68U is not a straight swap, as it is a router only.

that being the case, you either need to buy another router modem combo, like the asus DSL ac56u or the new dSl-ac88u or something like the netgear d7000 or D7800 or buy a modem to use with the rt-ac68u, or use your current plusnet modem router and set it up in bridge mode, so it acts like a modem and then just plug in the rt-ac68u and use as is.

your choices are based on cost and what you are using your wifi for, like gaming, parental controls etc. and if wifi range is a concern, then the asus dsl-ac56u may not be ideal etc?

Hope this helps ?

UK Sentinel

Update: just had a quick look at another forum and it seems your PlusNet Hub One modem router is a rebadged BT Home Hub 5 which cannot be bridged. Sad

I think you are correct plusnet hub 1 is a modem also, so I need a modem and router or a modem router combination suitable for PlusNet broadband?

any ideas what is best?

If you are just needing internet access and nothing fancy, then the Netgear D7000 is fine, good wifi and an all in one box and retails for around £130, if you are looking for performance then something like the Netgar D7800 will work well as will the ASUS DSL-AC88U, but the asus DSL-AC88U is new so firmware needs time to mature but is somewhat futureproof as it supports G.fast for future broadband connectivity

ASUS user interface is nice, especially if you like to tweak settings etc, where as netgear is more plug and play and hope.

for gaming, I find it best to have a separate modem (Draytek 130) and then buy a dedicated router like the Netgear R7800 and then put DD-WRT firmware and gaming is good.

UK Sentinel

great, and what a choice......

my needs are simple but I like the look of the asus dsl ac88u and it does seem a reasonable price

so this will be a direct replacement for my plusnet hub 1 and this keeps it simple?

how long is it before you think the firmware is matured as I assume it would be fully working out the box?

It is
so this will be a direct replacement for my plusnet hub 1 and this keeps it simple?

We all expected it to be more functional - out of the box, another user on the forum (Babis3g) releases beta firmware updates for various Asus DSL routers via this forum and from what I have been told by Asus, the next release is Friday 5th May, alas no idea what the changes/improvement's are, but they are getting there slowly.

In reality, we are looking at 2 - 3 months, but that's only a gestimate as uk users seem to be having issues with ADSL connections currently, I am on VDSL and all seems working well.

UK Sentinel

thanks UK Sentinel, much appreciated

(27-04-2017, 07:25 PM)UK Sentinel Wrote: I like your name, we have royalty on this forum at last ;-)

I am on BT, but I believe your plusnet router is a router and modem combo, as such the asus RT-AC68U is not a straight swap, as it is a router only.

that being the case, you either need to buy another router modem combo, like the asus DSL ac56u or the new dSl-ac88u or something like the netgear d7000 or D7800 or buy a modem to use with the rt-ac68u, or use your current plusnet modem router and set it up in bridge mode, so it acts like a modem and then just plug in the rt-ac68u and use as is.

your choices are based on cost and what you are using your wifi for, like gaming, parental controls etc. and if wifi range is a concern, then the asus dsl-ac56u may not be ideal etc?

Hope this helps ?

UK Sentinel

Update: just had a quick look at another forum and it seems your PlusNet Hub One modem router is a rebadged BT Home Hub 5 which cannot be bridged. Sad
Just to clarify when you say it can't be bridged you mean it can't be used as a modem only in front of an Asus router for example and would need to be swapped for something else in that scenario?

Indeed, the PlusNet Hub One, cannot be set as modem only (Bridged) - you can of course use an ASUS router behind the PlusNet box, but it would have to be double Natted etc.

UK Sentinel