This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again, but selecting Disallow Cookies will mean you are unable to log into the forum and functionality will be resticted when viewing the forum as a guest. Clearing your Browser Cookies will allow you to reset your cookies choice for this forum

By clicking this Link you help to Support this Forum when you buy any items from AMAZON
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RT - AC86U - Anybody using it Yet?
I have had a long and STRONG conversation with ASUS DSL Team yesterday regarding Various RT and DSL routers being purchased by UK (EU) customers and not working as expected due to in part 'Territory Code' - to sum up ASUS, ASUS understand and are aware of these concerns with the issues of purchasing ASUS routers from outside EU, but to change 'Territory Code' for instance may increases Wifi signal power strengths which is regulated.The hack for the RT-AC68U to change 'Territory Code' they cannot give equivalent for other RT and DSL routers to resolve a user moving from China to EU and still wishing to retain usage of there router (a user based example of why a Chinese 'Territory Code' router may wish to changed ).

Alas the ASUS DSL/RT teams are limited as to how the Routers are distributed / sold, I have given them names of suppliers so hopefully they can address internally.  Wink

ASUS do have a habit I have noticed in the past of saying No, but then 6 months later, the idea/change has appeared in an ASUS router, so hears hoping ;-)

UK Sentinel
UK Sentinel

This Forum is moving to UKTechHub.com, I look forward to seeing you there  Wink

thanks for taking the time (I know it is hard to talk to chinese technicians) so lets hope ...

But this answer is not correct at all, as they ALLOW Wifi-region change on these chinese RT-AC86U!
So I get either all channels set to EU, or less channels with stronger signal if I set it to US.
They just now and in the past let me change this!
Only change DEFAULT setting of this WiFi-region is not possible!

So it is not usable for Aimesh, as this performs a factory reset which changes my previous set Wifi-region from EU back to chinese because that is set as default after factory reset!
And this behavior could (what I think) be changed by changing territory_code, which probably defines this default Wifi-region.

Maybe with this additional knowledge they change their mind?

Hi @Grisu, I did copy them all your post and good suggestions around this whole subject, so hopefully they may change there mind once the conversation moves higher up the food chain?

UK Sentinel
UK Sentinel

The problem that Chinese version RT-AC86U lost all languages since firmware 21140 can be solved for those who can compile the GPL on their own.

You would only have to replace 12 Byte in one file to have it working again (I saved the patch but better to do not make it public for that it will work probably longer with future firmwares).
I know the way but unfortunately not able to compile it on my own.
More information per PM.

just got this answer from Asus (think Germany), but I cant believe it before I'll see it:

Dear Customer,

if you have issues with the languages we suggest downgrading to the last version before the change.
Future updates will have more languages again. We only release versions with incomplete language support when there is some case of urgence (like providing a certain functionality that is needed for some users).

Very very interesting and could be good news, what was name of ASUS person whom responded with this message?
UK Sentinel

Cant believe it and think its possibly just a generic answer of Asus Germany (well I asked in English and same got answer) and so only related to EU-version and not mine Chinese (international) version.
Dont think its good to post the name, will write you PM.