This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again, but selecting Disallow Cookies will mean you are unable to log into the forum and functionality will be resticted when viewing the forum as a guest. Clearing your Browser Cookies will allow you to reset your cookies choice for this forum

By clicking this Link you help to Support this Forum when you buy any items from AMAZON
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
DSL-AC68U/R and DSL-AC88U - AiMesh
(20-07-2018, 02:02 PM)sc00bs Wrote: Thanks for all the advise guys, I don't really want to get into editing the cfe so have I have decided to take @Grisu's advice and am looking around for either an RT-AC68U or RT-AC66U to use as my node.  I have sold the DSL-AC68U in the mean time. 

JohnB

take a 68U or RT-AC66U_B1, this B1 type got same hardware as 68U with AC1900 but mostly cheaper (laying not standing model), you can flash 68U firmware on it (all the same).

(20-07-2018, 02:17 PM)Aqarout Wrote: Hello All, thanks as well for your help and support, @grisu gave me my answer i wanted to use Ethernet Backhaul, so guess it will not work anyways, however due to the activities we discussed i am at least able to change the mode of the router to AP mode which i will use. In anycase what i realised after a week of purchasing the RT-AC86U that its almost 1.5x more powerful interms of range so at the moment it is reaching 95% of the house and 100% of my common areas with good signal. where the DSL-AC68U needed at least 1 or 2 other routers. I have many at home however faced alot of issues with roaming thats why i was looking forward to the AiMesh

Anyways thanks all.

If you change your region settings on 68U to #a/0 you will have same Txpower as with 86U.
Look in RT-router section.

@Grisu, need to be a little careful, the RT-AC68U has the CPU1: Broadcom BCM4708A0 (800 MHz, 2 cores) and the RT-AC66U B1 has the CPU1: Broadcom BCM4708C0 (1 GHz, 2 cores), they share the same wifi chipsets but have slightly different wifi power amplifiers, so unsure if flashing across the two with same firmware will be suitable?
UK Sentinel

DrayTeK 130 Modem connected to Netgear XR500, ASUS RT-AC86U then connected to Netgear XR500 

Smile 
(20-07-2018, 04:15 PM)UK Sentinel Wrote: @Grisu, need to be a little careful, the RT-AC68U has the CPU1: Broadcom BCM4708A0 (800 MHz, 2 cores) and the RT-AC66U B1 has the CPU1: Broadcom BCM4708C0 (1 GHz, 2 cores), they share the same wifi chipsets but have slightly different wifi power amplifiers, so unsure if flashing across the two with same firmware will be suitable?

YES, they got exactly same firmwares, not even one bit different!

download them and make a file-check or SHA-256. only different filenames, which is irrelevant.
Last firmware published 1 week earlier only for 66_B1 before all other 68-types, so I could test my 68U much earlier with it [Image: smile.gif]

Same now with RT-AC1900U, published 21152 since 2 week but no other 68Us whick stick on 21140.

Have done file checks for all RT-types AC68x/AC1900x/AC66U_B1, they get all exactly same versions sooner or later.
So I can say it for sure (at least in the past).
And they all will get same Merlins ... (there is only one for all 68-types)

Hey guys, has anyone got two DSL-AC68U's to form an AIMesh? My two couldn't see each other, even when they are next to each other, same firmware, both reset to defaults.

In the end I had to hack/flash one DSL-AC68U to the RT-AC68U firmware so I it could become an "AIMesh node" and joined my other DSL-AC68U. Obviously I don't really want to keep it in this unsupported configuration.

Asus support have been about much use as a chocolate tea pot and I've had to fill out a Word feedback form to explain my issue.

Thanks

it cannot work as DSL cant be set as mesh-node!
Other modes than DSL-router are not supported for use with Aimesh.
It is meant to be used as modem, so why should they do more work for nothing (money like).

Be happy if it runs as supposed with RT-firmware, you will never get more support anywhere for that old model!

(26-07-2018, 06:18 PM)ollie2001 Wrote: Hey guys, has anyone got two DSL-AC68U's to form an AIMesh? My two couldn't see each other, even when they are next to each other, same firmware, both reset to defaults.

In the end I had to hack/flash one DSL-AC68U to the RT-AC68U firmware so I it could become an "AIMesh node" and joined my other DSL-AC68U. Obviously I don't really want to keep it in this unsupported configuration.

Asus support have been about much use as a chocolate tea pot and I've had to fill out a Word feedback form to explain my issue.

Thanks

As @Grisu, so delicately put it, ASUS DSL models do not support AiMesh 'NODE' options as the DSL router is usually the first connection after a DSL line, so it is assumed a DSL router will be the AiMesh ROUTER and any routers connecting to the DSL Router via AIMesh will be of the ASUS RT type, that supports 'NODE' option

So flash/hacking as you have done is only (cost effective) way around your scenario without the purchase of an separate ASUS RT Unit to act as AiMesh NODE.
UK Sentinel

DrayTeK 130 Modem connected to Netgear XR500, ASUS RT-AC86U then connected to Netgear XR500 

(15-07-2018, 05:17 PM)UK Sentinel Wrote: Try the following guidance from ASUS, https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1035087/

Are you using the DSL-AC68U and AiMesh Router or AiMesh Node? if DSL-AC68U is being used as AiMesh Node, then this does not work (I think)

Hopefully Grisu can help advise as he uses AiMesh?

UK Sentinel

After 2 hours of attempts I finally found this post... WHYYYY?!?! WHY THE HELL Asus doesn't permit to use a dsl-ac68u as a aimesh node... WHY?!?!?!
(yes, I have 2 dsl-ac68u model)

As DSL-AC68U is first connection after DSL line, ASUS wan the DSL-AC68U to be ROUTER, not NODE, sounds sensible in an ideal world, then you purchase RT model for NODE only, If ASUS DSL-AC68U supported Node, then this means more coding, not good for ASUS ;-)
UK Sentinel