This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again, but selecting Disallow Cookies will mean you are unable to log into the forum and functionality will be resticted when viewing the forum as a guest. Clearing your Browser Cookies will allow you to reset your cookies choice for this forum

By clicking this Link you help to Support this Forum when you buy any items from AMAZON
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSL-AC88U Modem Bridge Problem
I wonder if anyone could help

I had someone from BT arrive this morning and put me over to G.fast but unfortunately ripped my old faithful HG612 out and replaced it with a Smarthub X. I went out and quickly bought a DSL-AC88U as Id read on here you could use it in modem bridge mode so my Pfsense could return to its routing duties. 

However, when I set up the bridge mode following the guide, my Pfsense box refuses to see the AC88U. Which port am I supposed to hook my Pfsense box into when connecting it to the AC88U? Is it WAN? Or the one you select in the PVC settings? Do I turn off DHCP if that is handled by my router? Do I need to update to a beta version of the firmware to enable modem bridge mode?

Thanks

(02-08-2018, 01:25 PM)Xiofire Wrote: I wonder if anyone could help

I had someone from BT arrive this morning and put me over to G.fast but unfortunately ripped my old faithful HG612 out and replaced it with a Smarthub X. I went out and quickly bought a DSL-AC88U as Id read on here you could use it in modem bridge mode so my Pfsense could return to its routing duties. 

However, when I set up the bridge mode following the guide, my Pfsense box refuses to see the AC88U. Which port am I supposed to hook my Pfsense box into when connecting it to the AC88U? Is it WAN? Or the one you select in the PVC settings? Do I turn off DHCP if that is handled by my router? Do I need to update to a beta version of the firmware to enable modem bridge mode?

Thanks

Default Route is WAN I believe, if not try LAN1, do not forget, the DSL-AC88U does not support VLAN ID (802.1q) so this has to be configured via Pfsense box.

Also ensure no ISP service name/Passwords are used via DSL-AC88U, as this also need to be configured by Pfsense box,
UK Sentinel

DrayTeK 130 Modem connected to Netgear XR500, ASUS RT-AC86U then connected to Netgear XR500 

Ethernet-WAN port is only if you use it without modem-part in router-mode, then you would come from other DSL-modem to this WAN-port.
But you will use DSL-WAN-port instead.
So your Pfsense has to be in a LAN-port.
Now I cant help you anymore, have to wait for UK Sentinel or others.

Here they solved it (at the end) for a smarthub5, maybe similar on your homehub7?
https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-W...-p/1437081

Update: ok he has been faster, so go on with the admin

(02-08-2018, 02:20 PM)UK Sentinel Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 01:25 PM)Xiofire Wrote: I wonder if anyone could help

Thanks

Default Route is WAN I believe, if not try LAN1, do not forget, the DSL-AC88U does not support VLAN ID (802.1q) so this has to be configured via Pfsense box.

Also ensure no ISP service name/Passwords are used via DSL-AC88U, as this also need to be configured by Pfsense box,

Thanks Sentinal

Do you know how I go about applying the VLAN ID to my PPPoE WAN on Pfsense? Struggling to find that option and my Pfsense box is refusing to see the bridged Asus modem

No problem, not a Pfsense user myself, but this is what I Google'd

1. Go to Interfaces -> (assign) and click on the VLANs tab to create the VLAN,
2. go to Interfaces -> (assign) and click on the "+" at the bottom right to add the VLAN to the pool of interfaces available to pfSense,
3. go to Interfaces -> (assign) and click on the PPPs tab then click on the "+" to add a new PPPoE interface (if necessary) then configure it
4. go to Interfaces -> (assign) to set the pfSense WAN interface to the newly configured PPPoE interface.

Hope this helps?
UK Sentinel

DrayTeK 130 Modem connected to Netgear XR500, ASUS RT-AC86U then connected to Netgear XR500 

(02-08-2018, 04:06 PM)UK Sentinel Wrote: No problem, not a Pfsense user myself, but this is what I Google'd

1. Go to Interfaces -> (assign) and click on the VLANs tab to create the VLAN,
2. go to Interfaces -> (assign) and click on the "+" at the bottom right to add the VLAN to the pool of interfaces available to pfSense,
3. go to Interfaces -> (assign) and click on the PPPs tab then click on the "+" to add a new PPPoE interface (if necessary) then configure it
4. go to Interfaces -> (assign) to set the pfSense WAN interface to the newly configured PPPoE interface.

Hope this helps?

Thanks Sentinel.

I'll give this a go once the connection is not in use and I can really sit down with it.

Thanks again for your great help, I'll post back again if I run into any issues Big Grin

Thanks again.