This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again, but selecting Disallow Cookies will mean you are unable to log into the forum and functionality will be resticted when viewing the forum as a guest. Clearing your Browser Cookies will allow you to reset your cookies choice for this forum

By clicking this Link you help to Support this Forum when you buy any items from AMAZON
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WTFast and cURL usage
As users of the ASUSWRT-Merlin firmware have probable noticed lately, RMerlin with his excellent custom firmware builds (based on ASUSWRT) has for the RT-AC86U/AC3100 and the RT-AC5300  routers excluded the use of WTFast service in his custom builds.

History:
According to the ASUSWRT-Merlin 'Changelog-NG', the use of an outdated cURL version which is some 7 years old, needed to support WTFast currently is unwise,  the old cURL version is not upgradeable without impacting WTFast and RMerlin correctly has concluded that the trade off between WTFast working and the functionality of an more updated cURL version to provide greater security/functionality is more important than WTFast, hence this is why the WTFast service is not available by any ASUSWRT-Merlin builds

Anyway, I have brought this to the attention of the ASUS RT Teams and the relevant coders and they are know looking into this very issue. I am sure a lot of codebase will have to change to support a more updated version of cURL, so hopefully this is a good first step, and at least ASUS are now aware of these concerns also.

"time for a beer I think"  Big Grin 

(note: these are my thoughts and assumptions and not that of RMerlin)

https://curl.haxx.se/docs/security.html

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

UK Sentinel

DrayTeK 130 Modem connected to Netgear XR500, ASUS RT-AC86U then connected to Netgear XR500 

I just dont understand why Merlin himself with his for sure good contacts did not do so!

(03-08-2018, 02:22 PM)Grisu Wrote: I just dont understand why Merlin himself with his for sure good contacts did not do so!

I guess he is a busy guy, 'likes to keep the diplomacy with ASUS positive' and his time is better spent in other areas   Cool
UK Sentinel

DrayTeK 130 Modem connected to Netgear XR500, ASUS RT-AC86U then connected to Netgear XR500