This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again, but selecting Disallow Cookies will mean you are unable to log into the forum and functionality will be resticted when viewing the forum as a guest. Clearing your Browser Cookies will allow you to reset your cookies choice for this forum

By clicking this Link you help to Support this Forum when you buy any items from AMAZON
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SMB2 for Asus routers
Hi!

Is there a chance to use samba we will get SMB2 for our routers as SMB1 is very old and no more supported in Windows by default?

They even could use Merlins code for update read post #9: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/does-a...ost-421613

(04-08-2018, 06:41 PM)Grisu Wrote: Hi!

Is there a chance to use samba we will get SMB2 for our routers as SMB1 is very old and no more supported in Windows by default?

They even could use Merlins code for update read post #9: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/does-a...ost-421613

My RMerlin RT-AC86U has SMB v1 and V2 Wink , do you mean Stock ASUSWRT? any particular routers (RT) you are referring to? and I assume same for (DSL) routers also, I can then ask ASUS.
UK Sentinel

DrayTeK 130 Modem connected to Netgear XR500, ASUS RT-AC86U then connected to Netgear XR500 

sure I mean AsusWRT, otherwise I would ask Merlin himself Big Grin

yes, all recently sold routers and DSL, we all need it ...

would be nice if you could ask from your side too.

This conversation I have just remembered I have had with ASUS before, so I have just checked thru my old emails and in April 2018 I asked ASUS about SMB v2 for a USER on the ASUS VIP Forum (@ALEX) from Germany for his DSL-AC68U. ASUS at the time said they would consider it for certain models, I will chase ASUS again to see if they have decided, but from my emails with ASUS, they said they would consider it, for which I was not happy  Angry

But I will ask again  Angel
UK Sentinel

DrayTeK 130 Modem connected to Netgear XR500, ASUS RT-AC86U then connected to Netgear XR500 

Tell them they could very easy use Merlins code for it, not more than copy paste for them.

(04-08-2018, 09:25 PM)Grisu Wrote: Tell them they could very easy use Merlins code for it, not more than copy paste for them.

I am sure they would love that ideal  Dodgy  but I have emailed ASUS and hopefully they will respond soon
UK Sentinel

(05-08-2018, 06:11 AM)UK Sentinel Wrote:
(04-08-2018, 09:25 PM)Grisu Wrote: Tell them they could very easy use Merlins code for it, not more than copy paste for them.

I am sure they would love that ideal  Dodgy  but I have emailed ASUS and hopefully they will respond soon

I have had a response from ASUS, alas not positive, but I did mention to them RMerlin is also offering SMBv2 for certain models as an option, so hopefully this will add weight to ASUS to upgrade.

----------------
No update at the moment from the teams responsible for this feature, I am afraid. 
---------------
UK Sentinel

Tell them SMB1 architecture is 30 years old!
With Windows Vista SMB2 has been introduced, they should overthink there really very old coding on recent routers.

Thanks for your involvement.

ASUS know that, but with SMBv2, there is an overhead, but agree, like RMerlin's builds, we (the customer/user) should have a choice to either choose SMB v1 or v2 for usage  Idea
UK Sentinel