Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TP Link W9980 connection problems
Hi all,

I'm a new plusnet Broadband user and had my line activated earlier this week. It works fine using the plusnet supplied router and connected perfectly. I have an existing ADSL router that I would like to use It's a TP-link 9980, and I see from a quick forum search that there are others who use this router, seemingly with no issues.
I've gone through the quick setup, using the details provided on the plusnet website and put in my username and password. It seems to be happy with all the details, and begins a handshake with the ADSL connection. The ADSL light flashes and looks like it connects (it goes on solid) then the internet status light comes on solid, but only for 1 or 2 seconds. They then both turn off and it tries again. If I watch the router config status page, it flashes up with upstream/downstream information but again only very briefly before dropping the connection and trying to connect again. Has anyone else had this issue or know how to fix it?
Any help appreciated.

Kind regards,

I would firstly make sure the firmware for the W9980 is upto date, see below, and then give it a second go, if this is a new connection, it is usually advisable to leave the original supplier equipment plugged in for say 7 - 10 days, so that the line settles in (training) as this could cause the DLM to kick in an reduce you IP (sych) profile, which takes forever to correct.

I have the TP-Link W9980 currently configured in Bridge Mode as I am using it as a Modem for my gaming netgear router and so far the TP-Link W9980 has been working well and very stable.

If you are keen to get the TP-Link W9980 in and running, hopefully a firmware update will fix the problem?

UK Sentinel

hmmm, I wanted to get this all sorted but also understand about not plugging in the tp-link w9980 until after the 10th day, btw, firmware is upto date so I know this is not the cause, can u say what settings you used when setting up your tp-link w9980 as a modem, as this is maybe where I am making a mistake?

I coped this from the PlusNet website- hopefully this helps;

If you’ve got standard broadband (not fibre), here are the settings you need. Some of these terms can vary from router to router, but these are the most commonly used some of the settings you will have to play with, but hopefully it should work.
  • Broadband username or login name -
  • Connection type or encapsulation - ‘PPPoA’ or ‘PPP over ATM’
  • Password - The password you use to log in to the Member Centre
  • Virtual Path Identifier (VPI)- 0
  • Virtual Channel Identifier (VCI) - 38
  • Multiplexing method - ‘VC Based’ or ‘VC-MUX’ or ‘VC-Multiplexing’ (I think it should be VC-MUX)
Some routers might ask for other settings that aren’t in our table. You should be able to stick with the default settings or leave them blank.
  • Idle timeout - 0
  • Connection type/status - Always on.
Hope this helps?

UK Sentinel

thanks uk sentinel i think it is my login name as I have been using ;-(

I will give it a go tomorrow

yep! it was my password, now the tp-link w9980 is working a treat and wifi is much stronger than the plusnet supplied router

thanks for all your help